Clients from around England trust JGA with their policy apprenticeships. These include the House of Commons, Defra, Cabinet Office, Department for Education, HMT, Department of Health & Social Care as well as local government in Manchester, Bristol, Midlands, London and other areas. With recent changes to apprenticeship we hope that colleagues from the voluntary sector will join us.
We welcome new starts and up-skills, graduates and non-graduates, individual apprentices or cohorts. We ask only that they have enthusiasm and a lot to learn!
The Policy Officer apprenticeship is intended to build the knowledge, skills and behaviours required in Policy Officer roles, whether those be within the public, private or not-for-profit sectors.
The duration is 18 months in total, with 12 – 15 months on programme, and up to 3 months for end point assessment.
Our programme consists of 10 taught seminars (full day equivalents, delivered as two half days each) with associated assignments and reading, plus 2 End Point Assessment (EPA) preparation sessions (half-day sessions) and 1 line manager briefing session.
All seminars involve a variety of taught material, groupwork, discussions, and set assignments which cover the knowledge criteria of the Standard, as well as some selected skills criteria.
- Module 1: Induction and Introduction to Policy
- Line manager briefing session
- Module 2: Project and Programme Management
- Module 3: Research and evaluation
- Module 4: Stakeholders and Consultation
- Module 5: Analysis and Feedback
- End Point Assessment preparation 1
- Module 6: Parliament
- Module 7: Devolution
- Module 8: Influencing Policy
- Module 9: Policy development and delivery: national and local
- Module 10: Ethical and effective policy
- End Point Assessment preparation 2
These sessions will be tailored accordingly to the specific needs of the apprenticeship cohort, so may vary in the content emphasised depending on support required and progress made.
In addition to the seminars, apprentices receive 1-2-1 coaching by policy professionals, as well as high quality onlíne and offline resources.