The curriculum for the course has been developed for The JGA Group by Christina Phillips PhD, academic, researcher and examiner in operational research at the Universities of Liverpool John Moores, Leeds and Swansea, Trustee of the Operational Research Society (ORS) and Co-Chair of the ORS Problem Solving Methods Special Interest Group.
The Operational Research Society, a professional membership body for operational researchers, data scientists and analysts, is expected to provide the end point assessment.
The programme teaches the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours of an Operational Research Specialist defined by a trailblazer group of employers including Dept for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), Atkins Global, Royal Bank of Scotland, London Ambulance Service, BT, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, Saker Solutions, HSBC and Optrak together with the ORS.
Where appropriate the programme uniquely draws out commonalities with systems thinking, enabling a cross fertilisation of challenges, ideas and solutions. It comprises:
- Monthly 1-2-1 coaching, working with the apprentice to investigate and resolve their work projects
- Small group, expert tutor-led seminars of 1-15 apprentices.
- Support for line managers/mentors so they understand the requirements of an apprenticeship
- Support for apprentices including mental health, well-being and neurodiversity (through our partnership with Genius Within)
Assessment is through
- Work-based project report with presentation
- Professional discussion underpinned by a portfolio of evidence and
- Multi-choice test
We deliver live, predominantly remotely utilising Zoom/Teams and are experimenting with a private suite in the Virbela virtual campus. We deliver nationally.