HM Treasury is looking for enthusiastic, curious people to work with our policy teams to deliver their goals. Prior experience in policy or the Civil Service is not required and this opportunity is ideal for those looking to start a career in the Civil Service or those who are considering a career change. The role will include a Level 4 Policy Officer Apprenticeship alongside a challenging but rewarding role.
We are looking for people who are motivated by:
- Thinking around a problem, identifying key issues and finding solutions
- Collaborating with others and understanding different perspectives
- The work of government and making a difference for everyone in the country
- Taking responsibility and being adaptable to changing priorities
- Communicating clearly, particularly in writing
The role of policy apprentice
You’ll join us as a Range C or EO grade. Your responsibilities will vary, but may include some of the below. You’ll be supported to develop the skills and experience necessary for this work.
- Support decision making at senior level meetings. Contribute to project management of policy related projects.
- Lead on policy making. Consult with businesses, academics and across government; analyse data; and conduct online research in your policy area.
- Draft documents for Treasury ministers, including policy briefings, Parliamentary Questions, Freedom of Information requests and correspondence with MPs.
- Work with other Civil Servants, external organisations and the public to build relationships to ensure effective delivery of policies.
- Present to others about your policy area and the effect it has on people in the UK and other areas of work.
Alongside your role, you will complete a Level 4 Policy Officer apprenticeship with JGA. The apprenticeship learning lasts for 18 months. You will not be expected to study outside working hours, as you will have 20% of your working time dedicated to your studies.
This year, we’re recruiting approximately 10 roles, with the intention of placing 5 in London and 5 in Darlington (subject to role availability).
The job will be based in London (1 Horse Guards Road, SW1A 2HQ) or Darlington (Bishopsgate House, DL1 5QE until the office in central Darlington is established in 2022).
If London based, you’ll receive £24,300 per year, with a pay rise to £26,750 following successful completion of your apprenticeship.
If Darlington based, you’ll receive £21,550 per year, with a pay rise to £24,000 following successful completion of your apprenticeship.
This is a permanent role, provided you successfully complete your apprenticeship. On completion of your apprenticeship, you will remain in a permanent job role at Treasury but will have the opportunity to pursue higher-level qualifications, to support your continuous professional development and longer-term career aspirations, should you wish.
HM Treasury’s work is diverse and so are the career paths of our policy apprentices. We are proud of our high retention rates for apprentices. The large majority of our policy apprentices have stayed with us after completing their apprenticeship and several have gained promotion. Others have moved to other departments in the wider Civil Service to share the knowledge and skills they’ve gained for the benefit of the UK population.
For further information about Treasury and our Policy Profession, please read our candidate pack.
Come and meet us!
We would love to tell you more about our policy apprenticeship and the role, so please join one of our virtual sessions. This will be held over Microsoft Teams. Just click on the below link on the day!